Friday, January 20, 2006

The Democrats Owe Us An Apology . . . For Apologizing Too Goddamn Much

I'm getting tired of this:
Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid on Thursday apologized to 33 Republican senators singled out for ethics criticism in a report from his office titled "Republican Abuse of Power."

"The document released by my office yesterday went too far and I want to convey to you my personal regrets," Reid said in a letter.

"I am writing to apologize for the tone of this document and the decision to single out individual senators for criticism in it."
The Democrats always seem to be apologizing for something, and it is getting very old, particularly given that they seem to always be apologizing for telling the truth. Who could forget this Dick Durbin gem from last June:
Sen. Dick Durbin went to the Senate floor late Tuesday to offer his apologies to anyone who may have been offended by his comparison of treatment of detainees at the U.S. military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to Nazis, Soviet gulags and Cambodia's Pol Pot.
What I really hate is when a Democrat says something that is obviously true and is then criticized by members of his own party for saying it. This happened to Howard Dean when he said last month that "the idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong." Several Democrats took issue with Dean's statement:
The critics said that comment could reinforce popular perceptions that the party is weak on military matters and divert attention from the president's growing political problems on the war and other issues. "Dean's take on Iraq makes even less sense than the scream in Iowa: Both are uninformed and unhelpful," said Rep. Jim Marshall (D-Ga.), recalling Dean's famous election-night roar after stumbling in Iowa during his 2004 presidential bid.
Excuse me? Someone finally has the guts to tell the truth about Bush's Iraq Debacle and his own party criticizes him for it? At least Dean had the smarts not to apologize for the comment, although I believe he issued a statement explaining what he meant, which although not technically an apology, is still a bit weak.

Democratic Senate candidate Paul Hackett got it right a few days ago when Republicans demanded that he apologize for calling some conservative Republicans "religious fanatics" and comparing them to Osama bin Laden. Hackett's response: "I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it."

Beautiful.

But just once I would like to see a Democrat say something so over-the-top outrageous that when he (or she) apologizes for it, I'll nod my head and say, "Yeah, what he said really did go beyond the pale and he should have apologized." In fact, I would love that, but everyone knows that will never happen. The Democrats are weak, and that is why they don't control anything on the Federal level right now.

No comments: