Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It's About Time Someone Said It

From the Columbus Dispatch (via Political Wire):

Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Paul Hackett was unapologetic a day after Ohio’s Republican leader called on him to apologize for calling some conservative Republicans religious fanatics and comparing them to terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.

Hackett said religious fanatics of any type should be ashamed.

"I said it. I meant it. I stand behind it," he said.

Hackett said in a Sunday column in The Dispatch: "The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren’t a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world."
Although I agree for the most part with what Hackett said, I do disagree with him on one point: Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world are different from the ones in this country because bin Laden is not running this country, and the religious fanatics who have hijacked the G.O.P. -- Bush, Frist, and (until recently) DeLay -- do happen to be running the country right now.

No comments: