Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I'll Believe It When I See It

This would be a good move, but it will never happen:
Senate Democrats frustrated with the GOP’s blocking of a string of President Obama’s nominees are seriously weighing a controversial tactic known as the “nuclear option.”

The option — which would involve Democrats changing Senate rules through a majority vote to prevent the GOP from using the 60-vote filibuster to block nominations — was raised during a private meeting Wednesday involving about 25 Democratic senators and a group of labor leaders.
And by the way, this might be one of the most hilarious things anyone has said all year, and it came from the mouth of Karl Rove. He's speaking on Fox News about the emerging story that the IRS targeted Tea Bagger groups: "It would be a nightmare at the White House if this had been done on our watch," said Rove.

Really?

If the IRS did target the Baggers, then heads should roll.  Now no one dislikes that group more than I do, but the Baggers have a right to free speech (just as I have the right to call the Bagger movement anti-American).  But the notion that something like this didn't happen during the Bush Administration just might be one of the most ridiculous things Karl Rove has ever said, and that's saying a lot.

The truth is that this kind of crap was going on constantly during the Bush Regime.  The examples of such activity are too numerous to mention here -- this Salon piece provides the details.  California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff summed it up this way:
“I wish there was more GOP interest when I raised the same issue during the Bush administration, where they audited a progressive church in my district in what look liked a very selective way.  I found only one Republican, [North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones], that would join me in calling for an investigation during the Bush administration. I’m glad now that the GOP has found interest in this issue and it ought to be a bipartisan concern.”
I couldn't agree more.

No comments: