Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Bush's Life As An Ex-President

From the New York Times:

When President Bush is asked what he plans to do when he leaves office, he often replies curtly: “I don’t have that much time to think beyond my presidency” or “I’m going to sprint to the finish.”

But in an interview with a book author in the Oval Office one day last December, he daydreamed about the next phase of his life, when his time will be his own.

First, Mr. Bush said, “I’ll give some speeches, just to replenish the ol’ coffers.” With assets that have been estimated as high as nearly $21 million, Mr. Bush added, “I don’t know what my dad gets — it’s more than 50-75” thousand dollars a speech, and “Clinton’s making a lot of money.”

Then he said, “We’ll have a nice place in Dallas,” where he will be running what he called “a fantastic Freedom Institute” promoting democracy around the world. But he added, “I can just envision getting in the car, getting bored, going down to the ranch.”
This article got me thinking about just what kind of life Bush will have as a former president. Will there be any interest in hearing him speak after January 2009, given that by then he will undoubtedly be viewed as the worst president in American history? Will he be able to demand more money per speech because he was the worst? Will people still protest him after he leaves office?

And what about world travel for Bush? He is so thoroughly hated around the world now that foreign cities basically have to be locked down when he visits them. Will such measures still be necessary after he leaves office?

I can't wait to get answers to these questions. Unfortunately, January 2009 is still a long ways off.

No comments: