Monday, July 16, 2007

There They Go Again

BBC correspondent Katty Kay said this on the Chris Matthews Show yesterday (via Think Progress):

Hawks have been calling the White House all week saying: “We hope you’re not going to wobble on Iraq.” And I understand they’ve been getting reassurance from the White House: “No, the policy is not changing.” Bill Kristol wrote a very condemning article saying that the White House must not change policy, must stick with the surge. The White House called back, said: “Why are you giving us such a hit; we’re staying with the surge.”
Good stuff. And if that isn't enough for you, here is what the Idiot Kristol wrote yesterday in the Washington Post: "I suppose I'll merely expose myself to harmless ridicule if I make the following assertion: George W. Bush's presidency will probably be a successful one."

The problem is that Kristol will not be exposed even to mere "harmless ridicule" for his idiocy, at least not by anyone in the mainstream media. This guy has long been one of the Iraq Debacle's loudest cheerleaders, so you'd think someone in the mainstream would at least call him on all his bullshit.

And by the way, I completely agree with Bob Schieffer. He said this yesterday on Face The Nation:

I am still not sure that I believe it: The Iraqi parliament is going on vacation during the month of August.

The White House offers the lame excuse that, after all, Baghdad is hot in August – sometimes 130 degrees.

May I ask a follow-up?

How much hotter do you suppose it is if you are a wearing a helmet, full body armor, carrying ammunition and walking foot patrols through Baghdad?

The last I heard, that is how American troops are spending their August in Iraq.

For me, this does it.

God help the Iraqi people because there is not much America can do to help a government that leaves Americans dying in the streets while the parliament escapes to cooler climes. * * *
Amen.

No comments: