Thursday, June 21, 2007

Carl Levin -- Political Coward

This Washington Post piece by Democratic Senator Carl Levin made me ill:

I voted against going to war in Iraq; I have consistently challenged the administration's conduct of the war; and I have long fought to change our policy there. But I cannot vote to stop funding the troops while they are in harm's way, conducting dangerous missions such as those recently begun north of Baghdad. I agree with Lincoln, who decided "that the Administration had done wrong in getting us into the war, but that the Officers and soldiers who went to the field must be supplied and sustained at all events." As long as our nation's policies put them there, our troops should hear an unequivocal message from Congress that we support them.
And the Democrats in Congress wonder why their numbers are tanking so badly? It's crap like this that makes me proud I left the Democrat Party last year.

Oh, and by the way, 14 more of our troops have died in Iraq. But let's look on the bright side -- that's 14 less troops that Senator Levin has to "support."

UPDATE: Here is Senator Russ Feingold's response to Levin:

I’m disappointed that Senator Levin chose to announce his shift by disingenuously suggesting that the Feingold-Reid plan would somehow cut funding for troops in harm’s way. Senator Levin knows full well that the plan I introduced with Majority Leader Harry Reid, and which was supported by a majority of Senate Democrats, would end funding for the war in Iraq only after our brave troops have been safely redeployed out of Iraq. It is time for Senator Levin and Senator Jack Reed to drop their opposition to the Feingold-Reid plan to safely redeploy our troops by March 31, 2008, and then end funding for the mistake in Iraq.

No comments: