Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Four Years Ago Today

I clearly remember where I was four years ago today when Bush landed on the aircraft carrier, pranced around the deck in a flight suit for a bit, and then delivered his now-infamous "Mission Accomplished" speech. My wife and I -- along with a couple of friends -- were in a condo in Key Largo. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, mostly because I was convinced back then that Iraq was going to turn into the Mother of All Quagmires. I think I made the comment that "this will be recognized as the most foolish campaign stunt in history."

Well, I was right and wrong -- it was probably the most foolish-looking campaign stunt in history, but Bush did end up "winning" the 2004 election, so it apparently didn't hurt him as badly as I thought it would.

No comments: