Friday, April 20, 2007

The Cho Controversy

Here's what Atrios has to say:

I'm a bit puzzled by all the conversation about whether NBC and other news outlets should've broadcast Cho's videos. While there can always be debates about what should be front and center, the idea that this kind of thing should be withheld by a Media That Knows Best is rather disturbing. Emphasis and placement is always an issue, which is why if nothing else this stuff can be put on the internets where people can make the effort to take a peek if they wish.

And, no, I didn't have much desire to see any of it, I just reject the idea that our Elite Filters really know what's best for us.
Kevin Drum agrees with Atrios, and I find myself in that camp as well -- but I still think NBC and the rest of them handled it wrong. Cho had two clear goals: (1) kill a lot of people, and (2) get his f**ked-up message out. He accomplished the first goal on his own, but he needed help to accomplish the second one, and NBC and the rest of them were more than happy to provide the assist.

That's the problem I have with all this. Although I appreciate Drum's point that Cho's images and video are "a key part of helping us understand one of the biggest news stories of the year," I just think it could have been handled a little better. NBC could have instead simply shown a couple still shots from Cho's videos, and then said something like:

"Due to respect for the victims and their families, we have decided not to display these videos on air. We do, however, appreciate that these images and videos are an important part of a major story, so we have made them available on our website."
Sure, I'm probably splitting hairs on this one, but that's how I feel about it. What I really hated about the coverage was when folks like Blitzer and Zahn would have some "expert" on their programs and then say: "Mr. Expert, watch this video." The video of Cho doing and saying his thing was then played at length, and then Blitzer or Zahn would ask, "So, what does that video tell you about Cho, Mr. Expert?" The expert would, of course, reply with something like: "Well, it shows that Cho was one screwed-up dude."

Really? That was the exact conclusion I reached after I heard that Cho shot over 30 people to death, but of course, I'm no expert.

No comments: