Friday, November 11, 2005

Has The Time Come For California To ReKall Arnold?

Maybe so:

A chastened Arnold Schwarzenegger took complete blame Thursday for the thrashing he endured at the polls and pledged to be a more collaborative governor in the coming year, offering Democrats an extraordinary role in crafting his agenda.

In his first public comments since election night, Schwarzenegger said he would rely far less on campaigns and ballot fights as a governing strategy in the coming year, pushing various goals instead through slow, painstaking negotiations with his legislative adversaries if that's what it takes.
Sure, I'll give Arnold some credit for taking the blame for the recent ballot measure debacle:

In a reference to his famous movie role, he said at a news conference: "If I were to do another Terminator movie, I would have the Terminator travel back in time to tell Arnold not to have a special election."

That got a laugh.

"The buck stops with me," he said. " … One should not shy away from that, and I would not blame anyone on my team. Because it was my idea to have the special election, and I said this is the year for reform and I told my team: 'You make it happen…. I have no patience, we're not going to wait. This is the year we're going to reform the system.' And it just didn't work out."
Unfortunately, Arnold's attempt to "reform the system" cost California something like $60,000,000. Gray Davis's plans didn't work out either, and he was recalled. Shouldn't Arnold get the same treatment?

No comments: