Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A Few of You Won't Like This Post, But . . .

Some of you have asked -- and by some, I mean the Fox News version of some, which is none (I just don't have all that many readers) -- why I haven't had much if anything to say about the Roberts confirmation process. Other left-leaning bloggers are going ape-shit over it. But I don't really care about it.

I think Sara is right about Roberts. He certainly appears competent enough to be Chief Justice. It just seems to me that a lot of people out there are taking the position that Bush -- one of the most right-winged presidents in American history -- should have chosen a moderate or even a liberal judge to replace Rehnquist, and Bush's failure to do so requires certain senators to vote against Roberts' confirmation.

Well, I've got some news for you -- there was an election last year and we lost. Sure, a lot of people who voted for that sonofabitch would probably love to take their vote back now that they finally understand how much of a moron Bush really is, but that storm surge has already passed under -- or should I say, taken out -- the bridge.

The forces of evil won the election last year, and certain negative things will occur as a result. And one of those negative things is that Bush gets to replace Rehnquist with another conservative; and let me tell you -- Bush could have nominated a lot worse people than Roberts.

Does that mean we should just roll over on Bush's nominee to replace O'Connor? Hell no. O'Connor is a swing vote, so the Democrats should take a stand if the person nominated to replace her appears to be a Scalia-like right wing extremist who will work to destroy the freedoms this nation has enjoyed for decades.

Am I being a bit of a flip-flopper on all this or drawing too fine of a line? Maybe, and I don't care. I guess my point is that the Democrats have to pick their fights. If they push too hard against Roberts, then any pushing they do against the next nominee will lose some of its force. The Democrats should apply just enough pressure against Roberts to satisfy their base, then start training for the next fight, because I'm pretty sure it will be The Big One that we have all been dreading.

No comments: