Friday, August 19, 2005

Do You Think CNN Will Mention the Downing Street Memo This Sunday Night?

CNN is running "Dead Wrong -- Inside An Intelligence Meltdown" this weekend. When I first heard of this program, I figured it would simply turn out be the Corporate Media's version of a "Senator Pat Roberts-type" inquiry, i.e., an investigation where the Bush Regime's intelligence manipulations in the run-up to the Iraq Debacle would be ignored and George Tenet and his CIA would once again get all the blame. However, the opening paragraph of this article about the documentary gave me some hope:

"A former top aide to Colin Powell says his involvement in the former secretary of state's presentation to the United Nations on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was 'the lowest point" in his life. 'I wish I had not been involved in it,' says Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, a longtime Powell adviser who served as his chief of staff from 2002 through 2005.'"

But my doubts returned when I read the article's last paragraph:

"George [Tenet] actually did call the Secretary [of State], and said, 'I'm really sorry to have to tell you. We don't believe there were any mobile labs for making biological weapons,'" Wilkerson says in the documentary. "This was the third or fourth telephone call. And I think it's fair to say the Secretary and Mr. Tenet, at that point, ceased being close. I mean, you can be sincere and you can be honest and you can believe what you're telling the Secretary. But three or four times on substantive issues like that? It's difficult to maintain any warm feelings."

So, it looks like Medal of Freedom winner George Tenet will continue to be BushCo's fall guy.

1 comment:

Danimal said...

I watched most of the special, but I didn't see the begining so I can't comment on whether or not the Downing Street Memo was mentioned. Overall it was a good watch. Still though, no one pointed fingers and the message seemed to be "yeah, this was really fucked up . .." The end.